Master Hillarion (also known as Hillarion Smerdis, Hilarion, and Ilarion) was a Cyprian Adept (Cyprus is the third largest and third most populous island in the Mediterranean) that the Founders met in the flesh. He wrote some occult stories with Mme. Blavatsky and also is said to be the source of some of the teachings found in Light on the Path.
Visit to the Founders
Hilarion is here en route for Tibet and has been looking over, in, and through the situation. Finds B—something morally awful. Views on India, Bombay, the T.S. in Bombay, Ceylon (—), England and Europe, Christianity and other subjects highly interesting.
In it I speak of an “Eastern adept, who has since gone for his final initiation,” who had passed, en route from Egypt to Thibet, through Bombay and visited us in his physical body. . . Every Theosophist at headquarters knows that I meant a Greek gentleman whom I have known since 1860.On February 20, 1881, Mr. Sinnett receives a letter from Mahatma K. H. referring to Master H. as "one of ours, who is passing through Bombay from Cyprus, on his way to Thibet".
Mme. Blavatsky wrote several occult stories, that after her death were published together in the book Nightmare Tales (London, New York and Madras, 1892). Boris de Zirkoff wrote:
["An Unsolved Mystery", "A Story of the Mystical", and "The Ensouled Violin"] at least, and possibly all of these stories, were written by H. P. B. in collaboration with the Cyprian Adept known as Hilarion. It is he that Master K. H. meant when, in a letter to Miss Francesca Arundale, he wrote of “the adept who writes stories with H. P. B.
- "An Unsolved Mystery" originally printed in Spiritual Scientist, Vol. III, November 25, 1875, pp. 133-35.
- "A Story of the Mystical" originally published in The Sun, December 26, 1875, and republished by H.P.B. in The Theosophist, Vol. IV, January, 1883, pp. 99-101, under the title of “Can the ‘Double’ Murder?”
- "The Ensouled Violin" posthumously published almost simultaneously in Lucifer, Vol. X, March and April, 1892, and as part of the volume Nightmare Tales.
Light on the Path
- A Letter from Surb Ohannes by X. . . . FTS
- Curuppumullage Jinarājadāsa, Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom Second Series No. 40 (Adyar, Madras: The Theosophical Publishing House, 1977), 82.
- Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, Collected Writings vol. IV (Wheaton, IL: Theosophical Publishing House, 1989), 291.
- Vicente Hao Chin, Jr., The Mahatma Letters to A.P. Sinnett in chronological sequence No. 15 (Quezon City: Theosophical Publishing House, 1993), 52.
- Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, Collected Writings vol. VI (Wheaton, IL: Theosophical Publishing House, 1989), 355.