The Theosophical Society was formed in series of six meetings that took place from September to November, 1875, in New York City. The first meeting, on September 7, was a lecture, after which the idea of forming a Society was proposed. The organization of the Society began in the next meeting held on September 8. The following names were recorded as being part of the founders of the Society:
At the subsequent preliminary meetings the earlier signatories were joined by others whose names were added to the roster of "founders". Some of the new names mentioned include: Dr. Seth Pancoast, Rev. J. H. Wiggin, Dr. W. H. Atkinson, Dr. H. Carlos, Tudor Horton, Edwin S. Ralphs, and Francisco Agromonte.
On October 30, 1875, the officers of the Theosophical Society were elected, as follows:
- President: Col. H. S. Olcott
- Vice-Presidents: G. H. Felt and Dr. S. Pancoast
- Corresponding Secretary: Mme H. P. Blavatsky
- Recording Secretary: John Storer Cobb
- Treasurer: H. J. Newton
- Librarian: Charles Sotheran
- Councillors: Rev. J. H. Wiggin, R. B. Westbrook, Mrs. E. H. Britten, Dr. C. E. Simmons, and H. D. Monachesi.
- Counsel to the Society: William Q. Judge
- Curuppumullage Jinarājadāsa, Golden Book of the Theosophical Society (Adyar, Madras, India: Theosophical Publishing House, 1925), 19-20.
- Henry Steel Olcott, Old Diary Leaves First Series (Adyar, Madras: The Theosophical Publishing House, 1974), 121-122.
- The Invisible Founders of the Theosophical Society by K. Paul Johnson