Difference between revisions of "L. W. Rogers Building"

From Theosophy Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 56: Line 56:
 
== Art gallery ==
 
== Art gallery ==
  
The anteroom to the auditorium is an art gallery with exhibits changed quarterly.
+
The anteroom to the auditorium was established as the Olcott Gallery during the administration of [[John Algeo]]. Exhibits are changed quarterly.  
  
 
== Kitchen and dining room ==
 
== Kitchen and dining room ==
Line 63: Line 63:
  
 
== Art works on display ==
 
== Art works on display ==
 +
Numerous paintings, sculptures, Buddhist thankas, and oriental rugs decorate the building. Some of the most prominent works include:
 +
* Madonna by Italian Renaissance painter Il Moretto, in library.
 +
* Painting of Krishnmurti, by Henry Schwartz, in second-floor hall.
 +
* Three paintings by [[Don Kruse]], in second-floor hall.
 +
* Painting of H. P. Blavatsky by [[Gutzon Borglum]] , in Meditation Room.
 +
* [[Antahkarana (art work)|''Antahkarana'']], pastel by [[Burton Callicott]], by Meditation Room door.
 +
* [[Mandorla (art work)|''Mandorla'']], pastel by [[Burton Callicott]], by Meditation Room door.
 +
* [[Mandorla No. 12 (art work)|''Mandorla No. 12'']], painting by [[Burton Callicott]], in staircase to auditorium.
 +
* ''Tantric Circle'' sculpture, by _______, on front lawn.
 +
* Sculpture , by _______, on front lawn.
 +
* Thanka donated by [[Dalai Lama]], in Meditation Room.
  
 
== Online resources ==
 
== Online resources ==

Revision as of 00:05, 5 January 2014

L. W. Rogers Building, front view, 2007. Photographer Jeff Gresko. Image from the Theosophical Society in America Archives.

The L. W. Rogers Building is the headquarters of the Theosophical Society in America, located on the Olcott campus in Wheaton, Illinois. It houses the business offices, auditorium, classroom, meditation room, staff residences, guest rooms, and the Henry S. Olcott Memorial Library.

History

L. R. Rogers at his desk in 1927. Image from TSA Archives.

In 1925 the American Theosophical Society, now known as the Theosophical Society in America, purchased land in Wheaton, Illinois for a new headquarters campus. The Board of Directors approached architect Claude Bragdon, a prominent member of the Society, to design a building to serve as the national administrative center. Bragdon was then closing down his architectural practice to begin a career in theatrical design, and recommended a Chicago architect, Irving Kane Pond, of Pond & Pond, Martin & Lloyd, to take on the project. The architectural firm submitted two designs, and the Board could not decide between them, so President L. W. Rogers sent the drawings to Bragdon for review. Bragdon wired back that he preferred the asymmetrical design by Irving Pond over a symmetrical rendering by one of his partners.[1]

Construction

Crowds gathering for cornerstone ceremony. Image from TSA Archives
Annie Besant in cornerstone ceremony. Image from TSA Archives

Construction began in 1926, and the cornerstone was laid on August 29th in a Co-Masonic ceremony led by Annie Besant. The event was heavily covered by the Chicago Tribune and other newspapers, and people came by the hundreds on the interurban trains from Chicago to be present. In the photograph at the right, Annie Besant and A. P. Warrington are in front; L. W. Rogers appears between them; and architect Irving Kane Pond is third from the right (older man in dark suit). Jiddu Krishnamurti accompanied Annie Besant to Wheaton, but he does not appear in photographs of the ceremony. The architect mentioned the event in his autobiography.

George S. Arundale at building dedication, August, 1927. Image from TSA Archives.

A dedication ceremony was conducted by the international president of the Theosophical Society, George S. Arundale in August 1927. He appears in the middle of the photograph below at the right which appeared in the Chicago Tribune. His wife Rukmini Devi and L. W. Rogers are at the left, and A. P. Warrington at the far right. In September the staff moved the offices from Chicago.

Architecture

1926 Drawing by architect Irving K. Pond

The architecture of Irving Kane Pond is difficult to classify, but the Rogers Building is generally considered to be Collegiate Gothic in style, with interiors influenced by the Arts and Crafts Movement. The exterior was constructed of Bedford limestone and red brick, with a carved stone lintel over the main entrance. The original roof was a mixture of purple and green slates.The building's asymmetrical design helps to create an impression that the building evolved organically over time, adjusting to the needs of its inhabitants. In point of fact, the exterior appearance has hardly changed over the years, and most spaces in the building are still used for the same functions they were designed to support. Architectural elements on the exterior include horizontal band courses, dentils, and decorative windows. Inside, most rooms are accented simply with dark wood. The three areas with more interesting design features are the lobby, the library, and the meditation room.

Photo gallery of 1920s interiors

Lobby and murals

The lobby is a open two-story space with entrances on the east and west. An oriel window permits the President's secretary to see visitors from above. The outstanding feature of the lobby is the mural painted by Richard Blossom Farley on commission from Theosophist and arts patron Georgine Shillard-Smith.

Meditation room

The meditation room is a serene space used only for meditation or meditation classes. Staff members gather every morning at 8:30 for 15 minutes for a group practice, and a healing group meets each Wednesday evening. Beautiful art works and oriental carpets line the room, including a thanka presented by the Dalai Lama in 1981 and a painting of Helena Petrovna Blavatsky by Gutzon Borglum, sculptor of Mount Rushmore. Just outside the doors of the meditation room are two pastels by Theosophist Burton Callicott They are Mandorla and Antahkarana

Library

Library reading room

The Henry S. Olcott Memorial Library, formerly known as the Olcott Library and Research Center, is a beautiful space that is used for meetings and performances as well as traditional library activities. The library was expanded in 1964 to add space on three levels. The architects were Theosophists Lillian and Wilbur Leenhouts of Milwaukee.

Auditorium

Auditorium.jpg

The third-floor auditorium is used for lectures, workshops, yoga classes, conferences, and numerous other activities throughout the year. The space was remodeled in 2009, benefiting from the Bland administration's Capital Funds Campaign. A column was removed to improve sight-lines for the audience. The sub-floor was rebuilt and new carpeting was installed. Co-Masons donated a beautiful door and door frame featuring stained glass with the Society's emblem etched into it. New audiovisual equipment was installed to support Webcasts and recording of programs.

Art gallery

The anteroom to the auditorium was established as the Olcott Gallery during the administration of John Algeo. Exhibits are changed quarterly.

Kitchen and dining room

In 2010, the basement kitchen and dining area were extensively remodeled. The dining room was renamed Nicholson Hall in honor of the Nicholson family whose generous donation made the renovation possible.

Art works on display

Numerous paintings, sculptures, Buddhist thankas, and oriental rugs decorate the building. Some of the most prominent works include:

  • Madonna by Italian Renaissance painter Il Moretto, in library.
  • Painting of Krishnmurti, by Henry Schwartz, in second-floor hall.
  • Three paintings by Don Kruse, in second-floor hall.
  • Painting of H. P. Blavatsky by Gutzon Borglum , in Meditation Room.
  • Antahkarana, pastel by Burton Callicott, by Meditation Room door.
  • Mandorla, pastel by Burton Callicott, by Meditation Room door.
  • Mandorla No. 12, painting by Burton Callicott, in staircase to auditorium.
  • Tantric Circle sculpture, by _______, on front lawn.
  • Sculpture , by _______, on front lawn.
  • Thanka donated by Dalai Lama, in Meditation Room.

Online resources

Articles

Additional resources

  • Theosophical Society in America Archives Department has architect's drawings, 1926 blueprints, correspondence, and detailed specifications for each subcontractor (plumbing, roofing, etc.)

Notes

  1. Claude Bragdon telegram to L. W. Rogers, 19??, TSA Archives.