Theosophical Society in America (Hargrove)
The Theosophical Society in America, headed by Ernest Temple Hargrove, was an offshoot of Katherine Tingley's Universal Brotherhood and Theosophical Society. It was based in New York City. After its early years of 1898-1908, it was renamed as Theosophical Society. Branches of the organization existed throughout North America, as well as in the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, and Venezuela. The organization disbanded in the 1940s, stating it was going through a period of "indrawal." The publishing arm, Quarterly Book Department , produced Theosophical literature, and was most active during the 1920s and 1930s. It also printed The Theosophical Quarterly, a periodical. Some book sales of the Quarterly Book Department continued into the 1950s.
Prominent members included Archibald Keightley and his wife Julia (a.k.a. Jasper Niemand); Clement Acton Griscom, Jr. and his wife Genevieve (a.k.a. Cavé); Charles Johnston and Vera Johnston; Miss Katharine Hillard; Henry Bedinger Mitchell; and John F. B. Mitchell.