Board of Control
The term Board of Control has been used in two ways: for a body supervising activities in 1884 at the Adyar headquarters while the Founders were away, and for a different body governing the Theosophical Society in the United States before the American Section was formed in 1886. Information about the latter group is at American Board of Control.
1884 Board of Control
In 1884, Colonel Olcott appointed Alexis Coulomb, Dr. Franz Hartmann, St. George Lane-Fox, W. T. Brown, R. Raghunath Row, G. Muttuswamy Chetty, P. Sreenivas Row and T. Subba Row to supervise the Adyar headquarters while he and Madame Blavatsky went to Europe.