Madras Theosophical Society
The Madras Theosophical Society was founded on April 27, 1882, while the Founders were visiting the city, at a time when the headquarters of the Parent Society was still at Bombay. The Dewan Bahadur Ragunath Row was chosen as President and T. Subba Row as Corresponding Secretary.
In 1884 T. Subba Row was chosen as President, with P. Srinivasa Rao as one of the Vice-Presidents and Secretary.
In one of its first meetings the idea of moving the Headquarters from Bombay to Madras (previously suggested by G. Soobiah Chetty) was discussed. Eventually, the property of Adyar was bought.