New India (periodical)
New India was a daily newspaper "which for fifteen years was a powerful instrument promoting Home Rule and revolutionizing Indian journalism." In 1914, Annie Besant purchased an Indian newspaper, the Madras Standard, and on August 1 of that year changed its name to New India. She revised the editorial policy so that the newspaper supported the movement for Indian Nationalism. By the end of the year its circulation had risen to 10,000. The newspaper remained in print until May 1929.
Many issues of this newspaper have been microfilmed and are available at the Adyar Library and Research Centre at the international headquarters of the Theosophical Society based in Adyar, Chennai, India.
- "Annie Besant - 1847-1933", The Theosophical Society (Adyar) website.