Esoteric Buddhism (book)
Esoteric Buddhism was one of the first Theosophical books, published in 1883. In it, Alfred Percy Sinnett wrote about occultism, the Adepts, the Theosophical Society, and first-hand experience with the existence of powers unknown to science which the occultist has developed. Originally published as Esoteric Budhism, most editions have updated the spelling.
Writing of the book
Use of term "Budhism"
Be certain, that with a few mistakes and omissions notwithstanding, your "Esoteric Buddhism" is the only right exposition — however incomplete — of our Occult doctrines. You have made no cardinal, fundamental mistakes; and whatever may be given to you hereafter will not clash with a single sentence in your book but on the contrary will explain away any seeming contradiction.
Errors in Esoteric Buddhism
Complete text of Esoteric Buddhism is available at these Websites:
- 1884 - Third Edition, London: Trubner & Co. at Blavatsky Archives. This 1884 edition has the same pagination & text as the original 1883 edition.
- 1885 - Fifth Edition, at Canadian Theosophical Association.
- 1885 - Fifth Edition, at a Russian Website
- 1889 - New American Edition, Boston: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1884, Internet Archive.
- More editions at HathiTrust.
- Blavatsky, H. P. "'Esoteric Buddhism' and Its Critic" Light, 1883. Available from Theosophy Net. (Also available in HPB's book A Modern Panarion.)
- Blavatsky, H. P. "Esoteric Buddhism and The Secret Doctrine" Available from Blavatsky Net and in Theosophical Articles, a 3-volume set of HPB's writings.
- Blavatsky, H. P. A Puzzle in "Esoteric Buddhism". Lucifer Vol 2. (May, 1888), 254. Letter from "An Agnostic Student of Theosophy" and response by HPB. Reprinted as a pamphlet by the Theosophy Company.
- Sinnett, A. P. "Esoteric Teaching". The Path 8.6 (September, 1893), 166. Available from Blavatsky Net.
- See pages 11-12 of Mahatma Letter No. 113 in the Chronological 4th edition, or letter 82 in the Barker numbering.