Olcott Harijan Free School

From Theosophy Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

THIS ARTICLE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. THE NAME MAY BE CHANGED.
THIS ARTICLE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. THE NAME MAY BE CHANGED.
Several schools were established Colonel Henry S. Olcott to serve the children of the poorest classes in India. They were supported and partly staffed by Theosophists based in Adyar.

By 1935, all had been taken over by the Madras city government,

with the exception of one, which the Society still administers with private contributions, in memory of the Colonel, whose heart was so tender for the poor and down-trodden. Now known as the Olcott Harijan (meaning "friends of God") Free School, it has 400 students.[1]

Additional resources

Notes

  1. "Adyar News" The American Theosophist 23.7 (July 1935), 158.