The Pacific Theosophist (periodical)

From Theosophy Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Pacific Theosophist was a journal published by The Lotus Publishing Company from November 1891-1898 in Seattle, Washington, and later in San Francisco, California. Dr. Jerome A. Anderson was the editor. According to Pat Deveney:

Anderson also edited and was a founder of the New Californian and seems to have taken this journal over, moving it to San Francisco, when the New Californian was relocated to Los Angeles. The two journals combined were said to have had a circulation of 30,000, but this journal notes that it was printing only 1000 copies and distributing half of those gratis. In the internecine squabbles within the Theosophical Society after the deaths of H.P. Blavatsky and W.Q. Judge, the journal followed Judge and then Katherine A. Tingley. Contributions by Countess Wachtmeister, Judge, Tingley, et al., regular comments on the events of the upheaval in the Theosophical Society, and brief lodge notes on the activities of the society on the West Coast. [1]

Availability online

The Union Index of Theosophical Periodicals has created an index to most issues of this periodical.

Digital versions are available from these sources:

  • Volumes 4-6 (August 1893 - July 1897) at Hathitrust from periodicals donated to the University of California by Dr. Anderson in December 1897.
  • Volumes 7-8 (August 1897 - May 1898), at Hathitrust from periodicals donated to the University of California by Dr. Anderson in September 1899.
  • Volumes 4-7 on the IAPSOP website.

Notes

  1. Pat Deveney, "Pacific Theosophist" in IAPSOP website.