Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom (book)
Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom was a two-volume set of books, compiled and edited by Curuppumullage Jinarājadāsa, that provide text and commentary on letters sent to various individuals by the Masters of Wisdom or Mahatmas in the early days of the Theosophical Society.
First Series, 1881-1888
This series was first published in 1923. Subsequent editions included corrections and additional letters. The most recent edition (1988) is organized in these sections:
- The Theosophical Society and Its Work.
- The Path of Discipleship.
- India and the Theosophical Movement.
- Letters of Personal Counsel.
- Letters to and about Damodar K. Mavalankar.
- Letters to and about Mrs. Laura C. Holloway.
- Marginal Letters.
- Additional Letters.
- NOTES TO LETTERS by C. Jinarājadāsa.
- Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom, 1881-1888. Adyar, Madras, India; London: Theosophical Publishing House, 1919, 1923. Foreword by Annie Besant; transcribed and compiled by C. Jinarajadasa. Translated into Russian and Spanish.
- 1919 edition is available from Hathitrust and from Blavatsky Archives.
- 1919 First Edition was published as a facsimile by Nabu Press [Kessinger], 2010, and is also available on microform from University of Chicago.
- 1923 Second Edition.
- 1945 Third Edition incorporates corrections.
- 1948 Fourth Edition includes additional letters. The 1948 edition is available from TheosophyOnline.com.
- Later editions were published by Theosophical Publishing House in 1963, 1974, and 1988.
- Maha Chohan Letter with additional notes is available from Alpheus.org.
This volume is divided into five sections:
- The French Letter of 1870 to Madame Fadéef, the aunt of Helena Petrovna Blavatsky. This was the first letter from a Master of the Wisdom ever received. (This letter was included in the First Series but a facsimile of it for the first time is given here). In this section are also letters received in America 1875-76.
- Letters to Henry Steel Olcott, 1879-1884.
- Letters to Indian Chelas S. Ramaswamier, Mohini M. Chatterjee, and R. Keshava Pillai.
- Letters to German Theosophists Dr. Wilhelm Hübbe-Schleiden and Dr. Franz Hartmann.
- Miscellaneous Letters to Norendro Nath Sen, Edmond W. Fern, Harisinghji Rupsinghji, Sorabji J. Padshah, T. Subba Row, William H. Terry, John Smith, and other unknown recipients.
- 1925 edition. Available (for sale) at Google Books.
- 1926 American Edition was published by Theosophical Press, Chicago. It is available at IAPSOP website. Limited availability from Hathitrust.
- Second edition. Adyar, India, Theosophical Publishing House, 1973, 1977.
Index and commentaries
- Index to the Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom, first and second series. Adyar, Madras, India: The Theosophical Publishing House, 1937.
- Theosophy as the Masters See It: Being an Account of the Society and Its Work as Outlined in the "Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom". 1953. Compiled by Clara M. Codd. 369 pages.
- The Story of the Mahatma Letters. 1946.
- The Story of the Mahatma Letters. 1977. Compilation including materials by A. P. Sinnett and H. P. Blavatsky.
- The Maha Chohan's Letter 1881 with a Commentary 1948.1966.