Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom (book)
Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom was a two-volume set of books, compiled and edited by Curuppumullage Jinarājadāsa, that provide text and commentary on letters sent to various individuals by the Masters of Wisdom or Mahatmas in the early days of the Theosophical Society.
First Series, 1881-1888
- Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom, 1881-1888. Adyar, Madras, India; London: Theosophical Publishing House,1919, 1923. Foreword by Annie Besant; transcribed and compiled by C. Jinarajadasa. Translated into Russian and Spanish.
- 1919 edition is available from Hathitrust and from Blavatsky Archives.
- 1919 First Edition was published as a facsimile by Nabu Press [Kessinger], 2010, and is also available on microform from University of Chicago.
- 1923 Second Edition.
- 1945 Third Edition incorporates corrections.
- 1948 Fourth Edition includes additional letters. The 1948 edition is available from TheosophyOnline.com.
- Later editions were published by Theosophical Publishing House in 1963, 1974, and 1988.
- Maha Chohan Letter with additional notes is available from Alpheus.org.
This volume is divided into five sections:
- The French Letter of 1870 to Madame Fadéef, the aunt of Helena Petrovna Blavatsky. This was the first letter from a Master of the Wisdom ever received. (This letter was included in the First Series but a facsimile of it for the first time is given here). In this section are also letters received in America 1875-76.
- Letters to Henry Steel Olcott, 1879-1884.
- Letters to Indian Chelas S. Ramaswamier, Mohini M. Chatterjee, and R. Keshava Pillai.
- Letters to German Theosophists Dr. Wilhelm Hübbe-Schleiden and Dr. Franz Hartmann.
- Miscellaneous Letters to Norendro Nath Sen, Edmond W. Fern, Harisinghiji Rupsinghji, Sorabji J. Padshah, T. Subba Row, William H. Terry, John Smith, and other unknown recipients.
- Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom, Second Series. 1925, 1977.
- 1926 American Edition was published by Theosophical Press, Chicago. It is available at IAPSOP website.