December 23 is the 357th day of the year (358th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar. It is preceded by December 22, and succeeded by December 24. Following December 23, there are 8 days in the year.
Blavatsky's Gem of the Day
"At present your nature is distinct; but ere long you will vanish into the whole: you will be returned into that universal reason which gave you your being."
- 1884 – Mme. Coulomb's pamphlet against H. P. Blavatsky entitled: "Some Account of my Association with Madame Blavatsky from 1872 to 1884" was published for the Proprietors of the Madras Christian College Magazine by Elliot Stock, London (issue dated November 29, 1884).
- 1818 – D. M. Bennett, editor of Freethought newspaper The Truth Seeker (d. December 6, 1882)
- 1838 – Charles C. Massey, a founding member of the Theosophical Society and first president of the London Lodge (d. March 28, 1905)
- 1895 – Henry J. Newton, an American manufacturer and one of the Founders of the Theosophical Society. (b. February 9, 1823.)
Holidays and observances
- None listed for this date.