November 17 is the 321st day of the year (322nd in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar. It is preceded by November 16, and succeeded by November 18. Following November 17, there are 44 days in the year.
Blavatsky's Gem of the Day
- 1875 – The Theosophical Society was founded by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, Henry Steel Olcott, William Quan Judge, and others in New York.
- 1882 – The purchase of the property at Adyar was completed and the title passed to the Society, exactly seven years after the founding of the Theosophical Society.
- 1884 – C. W. Leadbeater joined Mme. Blavatsky at Port Said, Egypt, on his leaving England for Adyar.
- 1890 – Col. Olcott issued an Executive Order regarding the formation of the Indian Section of the Theosophical Society, with Bertram Keightley as Inspector-General of Indian Branches.
- 1930 – The Theosophical Movement magazine was first published by the United Lodge of Theosophists.
- 1949 – School of the Wisdom was inaugurated by President Jinarājadāsa at Adyar.
- 1841 – Dr. Auguste Jean Baptiste Marques was a scientist, diplomat, and writer who lived founded the Aloha Branch in Hawai'i and served as General Secretary of the Australian Section of the Theosophical Society based in Adyar, Chennai, India. (d. 1929)
Holidays and observances