December 13 is the 347th day of the year (348th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar. It is preceded by December 12, and succeeded by December 14. Following December 13, there are 18 days in the year.
Blavatsky's Gem of the Day
"And if the gods are not, or take no care of mortals — why, then, a world without gods is not worth a man's while to live in."
- 1878 – Col. Olcott went to Menlo Park a week before moving to India to see Thomas Alva Edison about the phonograph.
- 1878 – Col. Olcott received from the President of U.S.A. an autographed letter of recommendation to all U.S. Ministers and Consuls abroad, and a diplomatic passport.
- 1875 – M. H. J. Schoenmaekers, a Dutch Theosophist and mathematician involved with the De Stihl art movement (neoplasticism) (d. December 18, 1944)
- 1916 – Dr. J. D. Buck, who worked to establish the American Section of the Theosophical Society in 1886 (b. November 20, 1838)
- 1944 – Wassily Kandinsky, Russian artist in nonobjective movement and Bauhaus School; friend of Paul Klee (b. December 16, 1866).
- 1947 – Nicholas Roerich, Russian painter (b. October 9, 1874)
Holidays and observances
- None listed for this date.