September 16 is the 259th day of the year (260th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar. It is preceded by September 15, and succeeded by September 17. Following September 16, there are 106 days in the year.
Blavatsky's Gem of the Day
"Amuse not thyself at the expense of those who depend on thee. Mock not a venerable man, for he is thy superior."
- 1891 – Col. Olcott sailed from Liverpool for the U.S.A. and arrives at New York on the 23rd, where he was for the first time since 1878.
- 1893 – Annie Besant lectured at the World's Parliament of Religions, in Chicago.
- 1912 – Emogene S. Simons, author of Introductory Course in Theosophy, joined the Theosophical Society in America.
- 1846 – Dr. Anna Bonus Kingsford, English physician; a prominent figure among mystics and Theosophists, active in London Lodge and founded Hermetic Society (d. February 22, 1888).
- 1878 – Prince Emil von Sayn-Wittgenstein, a Russian Prince close friend of Mme. Blavatsky, in Rottach-Egern at Tegernsee lake. (b. April 21, 1824)
Holidays and observances
- None listed for this date.